Thursday, March 24, 2011

Working in the Cold Weather

Well it's that time of the evening everybody. I've gotta get ready to go brave the cold for a few hours and protect the employees at a local place as they leave for the day.

What a Security Officer should keep in mind when working in cold weather:

1) Dress for the weather (Warm jacket, pants, shirts and socks) Ok now that being said here is what I usually do when getting ready for work in the cold weather. I will put on a pair of under armour long underwear and an under armour shirt. Then will come just my standard uniform pants and shirt. Next depending on how cold out it is I might put on my hooded sweat shirt followed by a down vest (with hood). Then depending again on how cold it is outside I will usually put on my black carhart bibs. Putting the bibs on OVER the down vest helps keep it insulated and stops wind from blowing up inside of it. Next I put on my issued security company jacket and grab a hat / ski mask that says security on it. A good pair of gloves is also a plus to have in this weather and will help keep your hands warm in case you have to act quickly.

2) As far as my assorted gear that I would usually carry with me (pepper spray, flashlight, handcuffs etc.) I will usually take the pepper spray and handcuffs and place them in an easily accessible pocket (chest of the bibs) and the flashlight (XL 50 by Maglite) will be placed in a coat or pants pocket.

Remember you can always take layers of clothes off but you can't run home and get more if you are already at work. So please everybody dress warm for the weather and hopefully these cold weather tips will help you stay warmer when you are working outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment